Graceland Baptist Church Deaf Social Message March 18th, 2011
Good evening…. Good to be here with you guys. I was asked to share a short devotion tonight with you. Some of you knowing me, I don’t know the meaning of a “short message”…we ministers tend to not think of time.
But usually when I do something short like this…I go into something that I use for my facebook videos which is a three part:
STORY / BIBLE VERSE / CHALLENGE
- How many of you have a car?
- How many of you drive a lot?
Now the big question…it is an embarrassing question….
How many of you have ever ran out of gas in your car?
- I remember one time, I was helping with Vacation Bible School.
- I was a leader for the Kindergarten class. I had 8 boys to myself.
- Monday…II had to drive 30 minutes to the church….I checked the gas…”oh plenty of gas!”
- Tuesday…I check the gas….”Oh plenty of gas”
- But the next day, I did not even bother to look…I was so busy
- And then it happened….I ran out of gas.
- Imagine how I felt…calling for help….I was embarrassed!
The scripture that I want to use here is Romans 12:2:
2: “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.”
- As I was sitting in my car waiting for a friend to bring me some gas, I was thinking
- I was thinking of ways to AVOID running out of gas again….you know what the easiest way is? TO NEVER DRIVE MY CAR AGAIN.
- It would be full all the time, right?
- Its easy for the car to run out of gas if we don’t think about it
- It is the same with SPIRITUAL feeding…
- If you do not take care of your spiritual “gas”…it will run out.
- If you just stay home, not go to church, not go to bible studies at your church, not pray, not read your Bibles…. Your gas will be run out.
- When you go to church…you have plenty of gas
- When you get up Monday…check your gas…
- When you get up Tuesday…check your gas
- When you get up wed…check your gas
- When you get up Thursday, check your gas
- When you get up Friday, check your gas
Do not forget about it….
That verse teaches us to “RENEW” everyday…
If we want to grow more in our spirit and faith, we need to keep our “GAS” tank full
When we stop thinking about it or checking it, we end up in trouble.