Often times Jesus used common place things to teach great biblical truths.
In Luke 12, Jesus uses the Birds of the air to teach that God is in control and that he will take care of his children.
With that in mind I would like us to consider tonight the lessons that we can learn from an everyday object.
I want you to go and find a pencil…right now. At first glance it seems not important, but I believe that it has more to do with our Spiritual life than we may know.
(1) The first thing that I notice is that it was designed for a purpose.
A. The purpose of the pencil is for writing down information.
B. We were also designed for a purpose. God has a purpose for me
Romans 12:1-2 says: “I urge you to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
(2) The next thing I notice is that it was purchased with a price.
A. Just as I spent money to give this pencil to you A price was paid for you.
B. We were purchased through the blood of a sinless Savior
I Corinthians 6 19-20 says: “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
(3) Has a trademark that identifies it from all other Companies
A. Just like you can look at this pencil and know that it came from Office Depot,
B. There are things that mark us as Christians that show that we are possessions of our creator.
1. Love John 13:35 says: “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
C. We impress people of the one whose mark we use.
1. Just like if we were to sharpen these pencils and try to write with them only to have the lead break every time we put it on the paper, or the pencil will not be sharpened we would get a bad impression of Office Depot and their products.
2. People will look at us, our actions and reactions and get an impression of our master.
(4) As it performs its task it is used up.
2 Corinthians 12:15 says: “So I will very gladly spend for you everything I have and expend myself as well.”
(5) It leaves a mark
A. As you move the pencil across your paper or your hand it will leave a mark. B. We do the same
The people we come in contact with on a daily basis weather casual or a prolonged meeting will leave us a different person.
They will either be upset or mad because we treated them unfairly or they will leave us better because we showed them the Love of God.
The question is the world a better place because of our lives?
(6) It’s the inside of the pencil that is most important
A. No matter how attractive it is a pencil is useless unless it will write.
B. God tells us often that He is interested in our hearts, that is important.
1 Corinthians 13: 1-3 says: “I may speak in different languages of people or even angels. But if I do not have love, I am only a noisy bell or a crashing cymbal. I may have the gift of prophecy. I may understand all the secret things of God and have all knowledge, and I may have faith so great I can move mountains. But even with all these things, if I do not have love, then I am nothing. I may give away everything I have, and I may even give my body as an offering to be burned. But I gain nothing if I do not have love.”
(7) It can only erase it’s mistakes by bowing it’s head low.
Luke 18: 14 says: “All who make themselves great will be made humble, but all who make themselves humble will be made great.”
There are many similarities but there is also a ONE great difference.
(1) The pencil must do whatever the owner decided.
(2) God has given us a choice
Romans 12:1-2 says: I urge you to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
Difference is YOU have a SOUL…..The question is…. what will you do with your soul?